"Mindfulness as an antidote to chronic stress and burnout: Do we have the courage - Aviad Haramati"
- There are multiple benefits of meditation including reduced stress and anxiety, reductions in blood pressure and heart rate.
- Burnout is common in physicians - emergency physicians have one of the highest rates of burnout! Mindfulness has been shown to clinically reduce burnout rates, so the question was posed - why aren't we embracing this concept.
- Mindfulness is also useful for students - it has been shown to reduce stress and increases rates of empathy.
- Mindfulness is available at many of our institutions, the only challenge we have is to have the courage to embrace and use this tool.
"Personal Learning in the Workplace - Stephen Downes"
- Knowledge is situation and context specific. It is tacit and complex.
- Knowledge translation - 2 approaches; content going to practice and practice leading to content.
- Personalised knowledge is produced when we do education for you. Personal knowledge is when you do it for yourself.
- Learning through practice is well established in medicine and aviation through simulation. Simulation is good for skill work, but not so good for knowledge.
- MOOC's - Massive Open Online Courses - creating a MOOC is like creating a network. Don't centralise and concentrate on the creation of links. It should have the following essential components - Wiki, Email Lists, Course Blogs, Synchronous communications and Video.
- MOOC Design - course structure consists of a series of topics. The instructors will not teach the topics, they investigate or work through the topics. Each week there is a conversation or activity with a guest including a discussion and reflection. Each day you should aggregate student content and share it via the web-site.
- Learning in a MOOC - learning is a process of immersion into a knowing community.
- Learning is not possession of a collection of facts, it's the expression of a capacity. Learning is recognised by a community of experts in a network.
- Personal Learning Environments - combination of Web 2.0 technologies with the learner placed at the centre of the learning environment.
- Learning & Performance Support Systems (LPSS) - these are built around the Personal Learning Record (PLR) which include certificates, badges, activity records, test results, assignments and anything that they create. Ultimately, the objective is to support individual learning in a network.
- For a copy of the slides and audio for this plenary session, go to Stephen Downes Website.